As we move into the warmer months, we must remember our love/hate relationship with the sun. Sun-kissed skin looks healthy but it leads to sun damage, wrinkles, brown spots, and red splotches. Did you know sun damage is the number one cause of premature wrinkles? We must protect ourselves for a long-term investment — the appearance of our skin. We invest in our “tox” and “fill” our wrinkles to prolong the process, but are too forgetful to protect our skin with sunscreen. Are we really doing everything to protect our skin from the inside and out? Here are some tips to protect skin from the sun.
Things You Should Do Every Day to Protect Your Skin from the Sun
- Use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer. Add SPF every day to your routine.
- Use sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy. Apply at least one ounce of sunscreen (enough to fill a shot glass) at least 15 to 30 minutes before going outside.
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB radiation.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours.
- Grab yourself a hat: floppy, fedora, baseball, any will do!!!
Make this a part of your daily routine! This should become second nature to you.
Sun Damage Goes Deeper than Appearance
Although we’re talking about wrinkles and brown spots, the true danger of sun damage is the elevated risk of skin cancer. May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, skin cancer is the most common cancer in America! But, it is also the most preventable. Our tips to protect skin from the sun will not only benefit your anti-aging goals, but could also save your life! Please remember, regular skin cancer screenings by your physician are of utmost importance.
Already Have Skin Damage from the Sun?
Come in to Hawaii Blue at our Newport News Medspa or Virginia Beach medspa when you’re ready to take 10 years off your appearance! In the meantime, stay in the shade!