Wrinkles and sagging skin aren’t the only indicators of aging. As we get older, our faces tend to square off, becoming wider at the jawline. Gone are the heart-shaped faces of our youth — or are they? Enter botox. Jawline botox, to be precise.
One of the off-label — but commonly performed — uses of botox is injection into the jawline. This is referred to as jaw botox, jawline botox, masseter botox, or botox jaw reduction.
This procedure may be done for medical or cosmetic reasons, but the result is the same: a slimmer face.
Fact Sheet on Jawline Botox
- Injection site: Masseter muscle (the chewing muscle)
- Procedure Time: 15 minutes
- Results in: 2-4 weeks
- Results last for: 4-6 months
- Side effects: Minimal, if any (slight bruising, soreness)
- How it works: Botox blocks nerve signals to your jaw muscle and partially paralyzes it. You’re still able to chew, but the degree to which you are able to clench your jaw muscle is lessened. After a week or so of reduced use, the muscle starts to weaken and atrophy. This relaxed muscle changes the appearance of your face — reducing the size of the jaw area, and creating a softer, smoother, and slimmer contour.
Is Jawline Slimming with Botox Right For You?
Since the procedure works by reducing muscle mass, people who don’t have a large masseter muscle to begin with would not have great success with jawline botox. This is particularly true for people who have a naturally wide jawline (mandible bone). While botox may help a little, results would be minimal.
However, for others, a wider jawline is a result of aging and lifestyle factors. Decades of chewing, teeth grinding, and jaw clenching cause the masseter muscle to thicken and become more prominent. In these cases, using botox to slim the jawline is an excellent non-surgical option!
Other Benefits of Botox in the Jawline
A slimmer face is not the only result from jawline botox. Since the procedure relaxes the jaw muscle, it also helps with jaw pain, jaw locking, tooth pain, tooth damage, and headaches. Those with a TMJ disorder or bruxism (teeth grinding) can finally get relief for their symptoms.
Rejuvenate Your Face with Botox!
Here at Hawaii Blue, we’re dedicated to making you feel as amazing as possible. A slimmer jawline can make you look years younger. Additionally, if combined with strategically placed cheekbone or jawline fillers, you can truly contour your face to look even younger and more feminine. The results can be as subtle or dramatic as you’d like!
If you’re in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, schedule a consultation today at our Newport News medspa or Virginia Beach medspa. We’ll be glad to let you know if you’re a good candidate for jawline slimming with Botox, as well as address any other concerns or desires you may have!